Frequently asked questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How are you different to an Educational Psychologist?

I am a specialist teacher assessor and so have direct classroom teacher experience (which is not always true of Ed Psychs). We also have access to a slightly different battery of tests to the ones used by an Ed Psych. The usual recommendation is that if your child is working significantly behind where they should be (i.e., 3-4 years) and you are looking to get an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), looking for an Ed Psych may be the best way forwards. As a specialist teacher assessor, I do have classroom experience, which means the recommendations I make may be slightly more specific.

Do you carry out child assessments online?

This is very much dependent on the child. Online assessments for children can be carried out from the age of 9 upwards,  with the proviso that they are often more tiring and may take longer as more rest breaks are needed. There will be certain tasks missing from an online assessment (the more practical ones) and the assessment will require input and facilitation from parents. You also need to ensure that you have a good internet connection (or can ‘hotspot’ your phone) and a screen at least 25cm diagonally. A dyslexia assessment cannot be carried out on a phone.

How much do assessments cost?

The price for an assessment is £415. If you have had a screening beforehand, I offer a £25 discount, which takes the price to £390. I offer a free 30-minute chat after the assessment to discuss the report and next steps and am always available to answer emails.

I offer a supplemental in-depth maths assessment/dyscalculia screener which costs £40 when added to the assessment.

If you require me to fill in any forms/provide substantial additional information, this is charged at my normal hourly consultancy rate (£60).

Can you assess for dyscalculia?

Yes! I can assess children for dyscalculia from the ages of 8-18. I do not assess adults for dyscalculia, but my mother-in-law Elaine does. She is at

Can you assess for dyspraxia?

If you are over 16, yes. I would usually suggest a combined dyslexia and dyspraxia assessment as the difficulties overlap so much – there is no additional charge for this. Please note that a dyspraxia assessment in this way is done for ‘educational purposes’, evidence for Access to Work or your own interest – I can’t suggest exercises or add this to your medical record.

If under 16, then no. For children, dyspraxia is a medical issue. If your child comes for an assessment, I will gather information about motor skills and then can refer them onwards for investigation.

Do you offer assessments for schools/colleges/universities?

Yes – please contact me to discuss your requirements!

Do you travel for assessments?

I generally only travel for assessments ordered by schools and colleges or by workplaces. I am not currently travelling for assessments to private homes.

Are you labelling me/my child?

Necessarily, when you or your child gets a diagnosis of dyslexia, they will then have a ‘label’. However, I try and ensure that my practise is very centred on progress and strategies rather than just labelling. My reports, whether dyslexia is found or not, have recommendations for home, school and the workplace to help address the areas of need found during the assessment. So whilst the diagnosis is important, for me it is not the most important thing – instead, finding learning strategies is the most important.

Is my child entitled to extra support if they have dyslexia?

That very much depends on the school. My reports have a range of recommendations which can be put into place for your child. Generally, schools are great at doing this, although some of these recommendations will cost more than others to put into place (both in terms of resources and staffing). However, schools don’t generally get extra funding for children just diagnosed with dyslexia, so schools may not be able to put in all of the recommendations in one go. If you do feel that the assessment report is being ignored it is covered by the Equality Act 2010 and you have recourse to your local council SEN department.

Will there be strategies that we can use at home?

Yes – lots! I am also happy to be contacted to provide more if you need this.

When do I pay?

I accept payment before an assessment, upon booking if you would like. Some people like to do this so they can then budget effectively. I am also happy to accept payment in instalments, as long as I receive at least £200 before the date of the assessment.

Before I tell you my findings or send you the report I need to receive the full amount. You will receive emailed invoices from me and notification once you have paid.

I prefer payment via BACS but do understand that some people prefer to pay by cash. I do not take credit/debit cards due to the fees involved.